Realm: Netherwing Your client patch is outdated

Follow these instructions precisely:

Patch download:

https://cdn.wowlibrary.com/clients/TBC_335/Patch-Full.zip

1) Locate your 3.3.5a WoW Folder

2) Change your realmlist.wtf file in /data/enUS to "set realmlist logon.stormforge.gg" (without quotes)

3) Delete patch-F.mpq in your /WoW/Data if you have it.

4) Copy sf-assets.MPQ and sf-interface.MPQ to your /WoW/Data (NOT data/enUS!) folder. If you've done it correctly, your login screen should change when you launch the game.

4) Backup your WoW.exe

5) Copy version.dll and Wow.exe to your wow folder

6) Play!

If you want to go back to default 3.3.5a, replace the exe back to the previous, one and delete patch-S.mpq (or remove the .mpq extension).

I double checked and i believe to have followed the steps correctly :classic_blink:
The realmlist is correct.
No patch-F.mpq in /WoW/Data to be found.
sf-assets.MPQ and sf-interface.MPQ are both in /WoW/Data and not in Data/enUs i even tried to copy the zhCN folder but it didn't change anything.
The original wow.exe is in it's own folder titled "backup"
version.dll and Wow.exe are in the root of the wotlk folder and i replaced the original Wow.exe.
Could my client be incompatible? it's a the one from chromiecraft, but it should be clean.

I do not get the error on the Test realms they are playable only Netherwing if that can helps.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2024 at 6:42 PM, Matick said:

Delete patch-F.mpq in your /WoW/Data if you have it.

Can I ask, just for a clarity. Do "patch-F.mpq" means any files with similar name where there is a number instead of F?

I spend a couple of hours trying to make it work, and only after I deleted patch-1.mpq, patch-2.mpq, patch-3.mpq from Data, and it started to work afterwards. BTW I've found that if you delete patch.mpq WoW would crash.

If "F" really means any number, then I suggest to delete these files from Full.zip, or at least to comment in readme.txt on the true meaning of F. I mean, maybe I'm an extremely stupid, but probably I'm not the only one for whom this is not obvious. Our world is full of thick people, I have many friends.

It seems that it doesn't work as intended. Wow shows me WoTLK talents, and the login screen is still from WoTLK. I think that sf-*.MPQ are not loaded. I see this in terminal:

archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\patch.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB-2.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\patch-enGB-3.MPQ opened
archive Data\expansion.MPQ opened
archive Data\lichking.MPQ opened
archive Data\common.MPQ opened
archive Data\common-2.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\speech-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\expansion-locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\lichking-locale-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\expansion-speech-enGB.MPQ opened
archive Data\enGB\lichking-speech-enGB.MPQ opened

No sf-interface.MPQ and no sf-asserts.MPQ. Maybe they wouldn't be reported in any case, but still I think they are not loaded.

I tried as ready-made client from the "How to Play" (https://cdn.wowlibrary.com/clients/TBC_335/Full.zip) so the patch (https://cdn.wowlibrary.com/clients/TBC_335/Patch-Full.zip). The patch does nothing additional to Full.zip, I checked sizes of files and md5sums. The instructions in readme.txt (or here, they are the same) I found useless in my case, because everything is already done. There are small differences, like "SET patchlist ignore" in realmlist.wtf, or the lack of the directory Data/enUS (there is Data/enGB instead), but I don't think they are the reason for the issues.

And I wonder not just about patch-F.mpq but about patch-S.mpq also:

On 6/10/2024 at 6:42 PM, Matick said:

If you want to go back to default 3.3.5a, replace the exe back to the previous, one and delete patch-S.mpq (or remove the .mpq extension).

I have no patch-F.mpq (which is a good thing I guess) but I have no patch-S.mpq either.

Verify your game contents are not saved in program files folder. It is a write protected area and will cause issues. If you saved the two mpq files inside the data folder and it's not reading it, I strongly suspect it is a read-only issue.

The "patch-f" and "patch-s" those are only indicated because in the original patch a couple months ago, we used these files, but no longer do in the newer releases. That's why it states "if you have it"

Edited by Pelto

I'm sure it is not a file permission issue. WoW can write Config.wtf, and I made sure that all files have the same user:group and the same permissions. As a side note: for some reason sf-*.mpq were not readable by its group :). It couldn't play any role, but still I made files readable and writable for a group, just to be sure, and all the directories to be rwxrwxr-x.

Wow.exe even do not try to open sf-*.mpq. I see in strace how it opens other MPQs, but not these. It enumerates sf-*.mpq among others by reading the directory contents and then calling statx on each of the files, but it doesn't even try to open them.

I suspect it is something to do with linux+WINE. It is highly implausible, because WINE can run all versions of WoW up to pandaria at least, and I don't think that binary patched Wow tries to do something special enough that WINE doesn't support.

> we used these files

Are you involved somehow in the development? Could you please make a guess, how WINE could break things? Does patched wow tries some things that non patched doesn't do?

Wow.exe was binary patched (wasn't it?), is it possible that the used technique the code injection wouldn't work due to another memory layout, or something like this that can be different in wine (wine loads .exe and the relevant .dll into a new unix process and it becomes like a native unix process, but all the system DLLs are not from MS, they were reimplemented)? Such things more probably end with a crash, but still there is a possibility that they just trigger a silent error.

Were any additional DLLs loaded? Maybe patched Wow.exe couldn't load a DLL, or it gets an incomplete implementation of the DLL made by the wine team.

New file formats? Like maybe png-textures or idk what? Though with this it will probably load mpq, and fail only then.

Or maybe this questions are futile and the patches were tested with WINE? I just reached the limits of ability to generate hypotheses why Wow doesn't work as intended. And the trouble is my experience tells me that it is possible that it is something stupid that lays in a plain sight and I miss it while looking at it. I just cant stop thinking about it. :(

Though thinking about it, I start to believe, that the only special thing that the custom patch does is the patch itself. Can it be that injected code simply does not run? Maybe there used some technique like LD_PRELOAD in linux, for example a instruction to the loader to load some additional library and replace some symbols, but WINE for some reason ignores it.

Well I was not aware you are trying to do this on a Linux
I'm not involved in development, I am just a GM.
Will ping Wolf (the dev) about this here, but no guarantees on a fix for it, simply might not be compatible with Wine.

Edited by Pelto

3 hours ago, Pelto said:

no guarantees on a fix for it, simply might not be compatible with Wine

It is ok. I can use 2.x version still. Just 3.x version has some really useful features.

On 8/8/2024 at 7:15 PM, durid said:

It is ok. I can use 2.x version still. Just 3.x version has some really useful features.

Did you set the DLL override for version (native,built-in)?  Adding that solved the issue for me.  Beyond that, I have a working copy and I could tar it and seed it.

Edited by ICritMyKilt
  • Thanks 1

MB1 Horde: <I C U N V N Me>
CowMonster, VelcroGloves, ZugZugThug, Lesdyxia, LaxKills, ICritMyKilt, ICritMyCritr, ICritMyPet, ZeroSkills, IsoloedLK, TotemMonkey, Munkfu

MB1 Alliance:
ICritUrMom

Netherwing Alliance:
FuzeeWuzee, VelcroGloves, SumBeech, Anullfisher, ICritMyKilt, ZeroSkills, Diabolique

Bug Report: Netherwing or Mistblade

I had the same problem when i was trying to use another client and then apply patch to it (wanted another language version)

Didn't work 😞 

Same going through insctuctions (Windows 10) and same "Your client patch is outdated"

Will wait for whatever resolve would happen in this thread. 

Hi, I have the same problem. I downloaded the full client and added it to Steam in compatibility mode on Ubuntu Linux, I understand that it's probably not a native platform for you. After launching the game requires a game update. I would like to try your modified client for the TBC. Hopefully it will figure out the problem. 

On 8/16/2024 at 1:26 AM, ICritMyKilt said:

Did you set the DLL override for version (native,built-in)?  Adding that solved the issue for me.  Beyond that, I have a working copy and I could tar it and seed it.

Yeah! It works!

I added all DLLs from WoW directory into overrides and it works now! Thanks a lot. I forgot about this feature of wine, I used it last time maybe 15 years ago. I'll try later to pinpoint the exact library(-ies) that must be overrided.

edit: to clarify, I used this client: https://cdn.wowlibrary.com/clients/TBC_335/Full.zip , just added DLLs overrides in winecfg

Edited by durid

It's just the version.dll that has to be overridden.

MB1 Horde: <I C U N V N Me>
CowMonster, VelcroGloves, ZugZugThug, Lesdyxia, LaxKills, ICritMyKilt, ICritMyCritr, ICritMyPet, ZeroSkills, IsoloedLK, TotemMonkey, Munkfu

MB1 Alliance:
ICritUrMom

Netherwing Alliance:
FuzeeWuzee, VelcroGloves, SumBeech, Anullfisher, ICritMyKilt, ZeroSkills, Diabolique

Bug Report: Netherwing or Mistblade