Burning Crusade A few random suggestions... (and things I've noticed)

Go to solution Solved by Tsu,

Not all of these are suggestions but just things i've noticed after playing this server and having played netherwing 1 and karazhan.

This is in no particular order and some may be more important than others. 

1. Netherwing/ogrila should be out on launch or shortly after as their reps are near meaningless when released so late. (I know its a gold influx but perhaps just release it a few weeks into a new server)

2. Priests regen on this sever seems out of control. Having played a geared priest they seem to have insane regen, and shadow priests seem to pump insane amounts of mana return. This may be correct but it seems like a lot compared to other servers I've played. (including netherwing/kara servers).

3. Heroic dailies should be out on start or near to it. As it is currently we still don't have heroic dailies and the vast vast majority of people will be mostly done with heroics by the time they're even released. I'd prefer them at start as they also incentivize people to do the harder/worse heroics such as HC OHB. (which is awful to run with the mobs spawning in mechanic on the patrols).

4. Some heroics are tuned a bit too hard. Like OHB and BF. They're better than most servers and much better than netherwing 1, but they still have some rough mechanics. 

5. The nerfing of raids as time goes on is awesome and I love it. This server has been near perfect with slowly nerfing old content so that people can catch up. Making kara not as hard as on launch, or nerfing t5/gruul/mag etc slowly overtime as wolf has done has been amazing and perfect. I think the only issue i've ever really had with it is timing can sometimes be off (but thats impossible to really know) and ALAR has always been a pain. I've killed it in its original state and its just not fun. 17 min fights with a lot of it being in phase 1 is just a slog. Alar's health should've been at its current state from the launch.

6. Remove the ability to use items such as nigh-invulnerability belt from the start (season 1), as it gives a hugely unfair advantage to those with it, and makes some comps absurd in early seasons. (i know it'll be removed for s3 but still worth a mention)

7. Communication could be improved by having an in game system message giving tips (changes in game like xp rate, how to change it, faction change and where to find it, pvp changes etc)

8. GMs have been really great at sorting out problems and responding to tickets. 

9. Some items should probably just be in their 2.4 state from launch such as items being main hand only becoming one-hand. Mostly speaking of items such as "fool's bane" and the like. These items are near useless as main handers because of the blacksmithing weapon but could be very useful for a time as an offhand. This restriction makes them go from barely useful to useless. (I do think the blacksmithing weapon is good as just a main-hand only though as it gives room for other items to breath as offhands).

10. More alliance bonuses on launch or just make the server cross faction from launch. The balance isn't great and in all honesty there will never be a solution because gamers just want to game with other gamers. You could promise the world to play alliance but if there are 2x the players on horde I'm gonna go horde. That inherent bias may never be able to be overcame and thus cross faction is the only real solution. I prefer pvp server still but if you invite to party they become friendly. (like excalibur did way back when).

11. Mob/pet pathing is abysmal and may be worse than previous servers even. As a player it seems pets and npcs use a similar pathing logic that leads to possible exploits. Pets will often get stuck in places and stare at their target and not move. For example if you send a pet in lorderon pvp arena from one starting side to attack someone in the other side you will often have the pet just stand still and not attack. (as if they don't know how to correctly path there). This can also be seen sometimes on top of the tomb in lorderon the pet will get stuck. I have noticed this behavior in NPCS as well. If you drop aggro after jumping off certain areas you can despawn and bug our certain mobs. To me this seems related but it may not be. I don't want to go into specifics but it could be used to exploit or bug out mobs because of this pathing issue.

12. Leeway. Leeway on this server is not very good. It is far shorter if you compare it to tbc classic and causes a lot of issues with melee connecting. I often will charge someone and they will get stunned but still be out of range of a hamstring. This makes no sense to me. 

13. There were some people I swear botted in off hours and played normally in eu hours. i'd sometimes camp them 15+ times they'd run back and spawn exactly the same and try and mine or herb something and I'd kill them again and they'd do it again. No cognition. When reported nothing was done as I'm pretty sure they were monitoring their botting which made it very hard to detect unless a GM was available then....but gms were never available super late night so they kept getting away with it. I think there should be either a tool or something a GM could use to help detect this semi botting behavior in off hours as I saw countless offenses happening in the late hours. Dual boxing bgs, botting in open world, large dual boxing open world, etc. All of which was greatly dealt with during EU hours but constantly missed during off hours.

14. Some itemization issues are very weird. I think spell dmg on healing gear should be in from the start. I've also noticed like half the items still give spell damage and the other half don't. A huge inconsistency issue there. Many pvp items were fixed to not give spell dmg but a lot of pve items do still give spell dmg for some reason. Ironically making pve items better for healers in arena. 

15. Drums should be 2.4 style with greater reach from the beginning, or at least in 2.1. the vast vast majority of people have LW for raiding regardless of the nerf state and all it leads to is people being annoyed/causing strife because of people not getting the buff from the reduced range. Likewise the cast time can be brutal. I've had a tank die because i stopped casting the 1s to drum. This may just be a QOL and has some powercreep to it sure, but the chicken buff/change did far far far far more to unbalance/powercreep the game than any LW change ever would have. TBH I just don't enjoy dealing with drums in the nerfed state. It went from something fun to something tedious and annoying. Yes I could change the prof to something else but there literally isn't anything else. I have alchemist stone, drums of restoration, demonic rune, mana pot, and on some fights I'd still go oom as they are tuned very high. Not many are like this but some def are.

16.Tuning requiring specific classes. Bloodboil/VR on launch both pretty much require COH Priests. Council requires lots of hunters. Vashj requires very few melee. Alar requires basically no melee. Solarian required lots of hunters/rogues to vanish/feign wrath...etc. I think a lot of the fights are great but I think some tuning on certain fights are a bit insane. I legit don't think its possible to do bloodboil without a COH Priest. I think some thought should go into not requiring a raid have a roster of alts/bikes/fillers in order to survive. A lot of guilds died in t5 not because of anything but roster boss as the content required very specific comps that meant some sat and some bosses were not possible without certain comps. 

17. Attunements. Attunes have been done decently with the removal early, but I think also adding in them from the start would go a long way to making the server better. My guild struggled the first few weeks of t6 getting everyone attuned as we had to do flk, alar, vashj, kt for not just the main raid but all the alts/bikes etc. This wouldn't be an issue if the content didn't require specific comps as noted above, but ended up being an absolute must. Simply put vials dropping for all members on launch, put alar/flk quests in at launch and let people do the attunes over the course of months instead of days.

18. Boss loot. Tier drought was rough. With the 1 tier per kill being a thing many people didn't get tier 4 or tier 5 at all. I know I personally didn't get tier 4 shoulders/chest until I was already in t6. Hell I did mag quite a few times and our pally tank never got tier 4 chest as they just never dropped. Likewise Mag loot was awful with no rings on launch, no bag, only 1 tier. You might as well just not have Mag in the game. The loot was outdated by the time you added in the 2.1 loot change. My guild saw 1 mag ring ever. Likewise KT not having neck drops meant very very very few people ever got the necks. Why even bother when s3 neck will come out and be on par or close to it anyway? KT not having neck was so disappointing. Killing KT on the pre nerf status, having killed one of the hardest bosses and we get nearly no vials, and no neck. Half of KT loot isn't even that good. 

19. pvp daily quest should revert back to games played instead of wins, or do both. I'd much prefer it if it was like 3 wins or 10 losses to complete. I know having the 5 losses completion did mean that people would sometimes let the game end/lose but that happens anyway without the quest. I did not notice a change at all in bgs when the change was made. On the other hand I did notice me being much more upset at not winning a bg as sometimes it would take ages to get the third win for the daily. If a quest takes you hours to complete as a daily then it is a badly designed daily. I do really like the quest though as it allowed me to have alts for pvp only and not require me to farm heroics for the badge gear used in pvp. I just think there should at least be some sort of pity filter on it. If you lose enough then it completes. 

20. Logs/armory are great and I'm so glad they are in this server. My only gripe are small things like not being able to break up dmg/healing and see at least a bit more info. I know it can't do as much as the log tools people use but would be nice to see where healing/dmg came from and what abilities. Likewise correcting some stuff like POM/earthshield counting healing for the tank. I noticed some tanks pulling like 400 HPS. All of which should be attributed to the healer. This isn't the biggest of deals but it is a bit unrepresentative of the usefulness of players. A holy pally that seals of lights, a good uptime on earth shield, a priest that bubbles/poms well etc. All very important metrics that are pretty basic and are not being counted. At this point it is nearly useless since it doesn't count all those very important things. 

I have several issues with some of your suggestions, usually to do with basically removing so much progressive non-raid content as Quality of Life "improvements" ... However, I won't go into that level of detail since this is a formal suggestion area to the Staff and not a general discussion area as such.

I will say though,

Likewise correcting some stuff like POM/earthshield counting healing for the tank. I noticed some tanks pulling like 400 HPS. All of which should be attributed to the healer.

This is completely Blizzlike and intended in TBC. Certain heals are reactive, as in they are healing started from a buff placed on the target. It is intended to be counted as from the target. For healers who use it well, this can even help with initial threat on a tank, which as healing is effectively aoe threat.

I do recall hearing of changes in Classic, due to complaints from Log Parsing meta players, but regardless of whether it was changes in the combat log or only at WarcraftLogs (WCL) for who had the final attribution, the reactive healing itself was always from the target and not the caster in TBC and Classic TBC.

That did not change until the next expansion due to overall healing and threat changes. So, I hope you are not suggesting yet another removal/change or forwarding of the core mechanic, but this time from an entire other expansion ...

Edited by umarmung

2 hours ago, umarmung said:

I do recall hearing of changes in Classic, due to complaints from Log Parsing meta players, but regardless of whether it was changes in the combat log or only at WarcraftLogs (WCL) for who had the final attribution, the reactive healing itself was always from the target and not the caster in TBC and Classic TBC.

I don't recommend anything in game but instead attributing the healing to the healer on logs so that you can better easily see the effective heals of players. Having 400 hps go to a tank has no meaning whatsoever when using logs. Attribute the heals to the correct player so you can better see things like who had better uptime on earthshield, whether or not the class is worth taking etc. As it is now a good coh priest can hit like 3k hps in some instances while a shaman can barely hit 2k. I assume it counts healing from totems as well since thats part of their toolkit but i'm not sure. 

I guess my main point with it is it is often hard to see the effect of healers on parses and its even harder with arcane attribution. A CoH priest who does nothing but coh would have higher parses than one that utilizes pom, and power word shield. Likewise a shaman who keeps high uptime on a tank gets no attribution, or a holy pally using seal of light.

I don't intent to change anything in game but rather how the log site attribute it so that you can differentiate the healing from different classes and from different players. It is very hard to tell the good from the bad healers as it is now. It would just be another helpful, quick tool that could be used to measure performance.

• Administrators
On 10/1/2023 at 8:17 PM, nateee said:

12. Leeway. Leeway on this server is not very good. It is far shorter if you compare it to tbc classic and causes a lot of issues with melee connecting. I often will charge someone and they will get stunned but still be out of range of a hamstring. This makes no sense to me. 

The leeway range on the classic was bugged, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.