Forum Post editing should never expire otherwise it breaks permanent content.

I just checked a post I made a couple of hours earlier and found I could no longer edit it.

I do not understand the point of a game forum, especially in the presence of modern apps like Discord, when it adopts a recent (socia media -like) trend of expiring the ability to edit posts.

The whole point of a forum is that content can remain persistent, be added to and modified over time, e.g. even basic lists, let alone resource links to new content elsewhere like addons, spreadsheets, Discords, file links, etc.

Forums are also unique in that they can be indexed by search engines like Google. Many years later I still look up other much older private servers forums to check issues and user content that is still highly relevant to private servers being run today. Nostalrius forums, for example, are still up and useful to this date for vanilla server players.

So, please, for the love of Elune, make sure that it is still possible to edit posts many years later. Otherwise, you may as well forget curated content like addon lists, for a start because it would actually be completely inferior to the existing Addon Discords if no one could create and add to lists.

• Like 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, umarmung said:

I just checked a post I made a couple of hours earlier and found I could no longer edit it

Now you can, now there is no time limit.

32 minutes ago, umarmung said:

The whole point of a forum is that content can remain persistent, be added to and modified over time, e.g. even basic lists, let alone resource links to new content elsewhere like addons, spreadsheets, Discords, file links, etc.

Yes.

29 minutes ago, umarmung said:

I do not understand the point of a game forum, especially in the presence of modern apps like Discord, when it adopts a recent (socia media -like) trend of expiring the ability to edit posts.

The purpose of the creation of the forum, is to move more official topics right here. Discord is nice for quick conversations, but unfortunately often important topics disappear and you can't get back to them.

32 minutes ago, umarmung said:

Forums are also unique in that they can be indexed by search engines like Google. Many years later I still look up other much older private servers forums to check issues and user content that is still highly relevant to private servers being run today. Nostalrius forums, for example, are still up and useful to this date for vanilla server players.

This is another benefit of creating this forum.

36 minutes ago, umarmung said:

So, please, for the love of Elune, make sure that it is still possible to edit posts many years later. Otherwise, you may as well forget curated content like addon lists, for a start because it would actually be completely inferior to the existing Addon Discords if no one could create and add to lists.

You're welcome :)

• Like 2

• Emtec changed the title to Post editing should never expire otherwise it breaks permanent content.