Realm: Netherwing The future of characters on Netherwing

Hi everyone, first post here. 👋

Me and two of my friends have decided to make our home on this server a week ago, and so far it has been an amazing and very nostalgic experience for all three of us. We are a bit of a dying breed (or at least I feel), who enjoy slow paced leveling, questing, role-playing and the more casual aspects of character development. We are not really into raiding. A day or so ago the question came up: "What will happen with our characters once the current Netherwing progression comes to an end?"

Sorry if this was asked already, but what are the current plans regarding this? What tends to be the usual procedure here at Stormforge? Could someone share a bit of history here? Are the characters just wiped eventually? We only played on retail (during WotLK, Cata, MoP and Classic) and on a WotLK private server called Dalaran WoW, where the devs openly guarantee to never delete characters, so this situation is a bit new to us. Of course, we understand that it would do no good if after 2.4.3 nothing happened and everyone just got bored due to maxing out content, but we look at our characters not just as mere numbers or replaceable avatars existing only to farm gear with, but have this strong RP connection with them. For example, even though I no longer actively play on Dalaran, as it's a bit dead now due to WotLK Classic, I still often log in with my old character (from more than 10 years ago!), and it just feels good that even after this many years it's still there. (They have some very special methods implemented to allow eternal progression through WotLK without having to delete characters, by the way.)

A bit related: Is it right to assume that there is roughly one year left of the current iteration of TBC, regardless of how characters are handled afterwards?

The server will be staying TBC and will not progress to Wrath or any other expansion.

The server will fully play out in progression - and then sometime in the future after activity has dwindled (several months after Sunwell release is my guess, maybe longer) - likely what will happen is the project will release a fresh new TBC server starting at the beginning.

I can't 100% guarantee your characters will never be deleted, there is always a small risk of that on any private server, but I am not aware of them taking any sort of planned action like that. Even if they release a new server at some future date - the old one should still be running.

Thanks, that seems reassuring 🥳. Wasn't there already a Netherwing 1 server before the current one though? What became of that? There also was a Stormforge WotLK server called Fording as far as I know, and that also seems nowhere to be found. The three of us would find it very helpful if one of the admins could also shed some light on this.

As far as I know the Wrath server is still around and can be accessed, it's just completely dead.

Correct that the first Netherwing server is gone now, it was around 3-4 years ago and merged with Karazhan realm (their 2nd realm) after that one ended progress - but both were closed when Atlantiss officially merged into Stormforge.

Anyway since you asked for an admin, maybe Wolfenstein or Crysis can discuss more on the subject for you. Cheers

Edited by Matick
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 11/10/2023 at 8:02 AM, Nezive said:

Thanks, that seems reassuring 🥳. Wasn't there already a Netherwing 1 server before the current one though? What became of that? There also was a Stormforge WotLK server called Fording as far as I know, and that also seems nowhere to be found. The three of us would find it very helpful if one of the admins could also shed some light on this.

There was Netherwing and then Karazhan under Atlantiss flag.
Then we started Stormforge, we did release WotLK realm - Fordring and eventually we allowed people to merge their Atlantiss accounts with SF accounts.

We do NOT plan any WotLK realm at the moment and I do not really expect it in the close future. It's too early to determine what exactly will happen to current Netherwing's characters. They are not going to be just deleted, that's certain.

• Thanks 1

Ban Appeals, shop troubleshooting, account issues etc. -> [email protected]
How To Connect -> LINK
Rules & Guidelines -> LINK
Frequently Asked Questions -> LINK
Stormforge Logs -> LINK
Stormforge Discord -> LINK